Polypropylene is an economical material that offers a combination of outstanding physical, chemical, mechanical, thermal and electrical properties not found in any other thermoplastic. Compared to low or high density polyethylene, it has a lower impact strength, but superior working temperature and tensile strength.
Polypropylene provides excellent resistance to organic solvents, degreasing agents and electrolytic attack. It has a lower impact strength, but its working temperatures and tensile strength are superior to low or high density polyethylene. It is light in weight, resistant to staining, and has a low moisture absorption rate. This is a tough, heat-resistant, semi-rigid material, ideal for the transfer of hot liquids or gases. It is recommended for vacuum systems and where higher heats and pressures are encountered. It has excellent resistance to acids and alkalines, but poor resistance to aromatic, aliphatic and chlorinated solvents.
• Lightweight • High tensile strength • Impact resistant • High compressive strength • Excellent dielectric properties • Resists most alkalis and acids • Resists stress cracking • Retains stiffness and flex • Low moisture absorption • Non-toxic • Non-staining • Easily fabricated • High heat resistance.
• Hot gas welding • Spin welding • Fusion & butt welding • Machining with wood or metal working tools • Vacuum forming • Ultra-sonic sealing
• Chemical resistant tanks & linings • Laboratory consoles, sinks & ducts • Plating barrels & tanks • Lavatory partitions • Filter press plates • Railroad crossing components • Pump components & housings • Prosthetic devices • Die cutting pads • Clean room walls, floors & ceilings
TYPICAL PROPERTIES of POLYPROPYLENE
|ASTM or UL test||Property||Homopolymer||Co-Polymer||Flame|
|D570||Water Absorption, 24 hrs (%)||<0.01||0.01||0.02|
|D638||Tensile Strength (psi)||4,800||4,800||4,300|
|D638||Tensile Modulus (psi)||195,000||-||-|
|D638||Tensile Elongation at Yield (%)||12||23||28|
|D790||Flexural Strength (psi)||7,000||5,400||-|
|D790||Flexural Modulus (psi)||180,000||160,000||145,000|
|D695||Compressive Strength (psi)||7,000||6,000||-|
|D695||Compressive Modulus (psi)||-||-||-|
|D785||Hardness, Rockwell R||92||80||-|
|D256||IZOD Notched Impact (ft-lb/in)||1.9||7.5||0.65|
|D696||Coefficient of Linear Thermal Expansion|
(x 10-5 in./in./°F)
|D648||Heat Deflection Temp (°F / °C)|
at 66 psi
at 264 psi
210 / 99
125 / 52
173 / 78
110 / 43
106 / 41
57 / 14
|D3418||Melting Temperature (°F / °C)||327 / 164||327 / 164||327 / 164|
|-||Max Operating Temp (°F / °C)||180 / 82||170 / 77||180 / 82|
(x 10-4 cal/cm-sec-°C)
|D149||Dielectric Strength (V/mil) short time, 1/8" thick||500-660||475||500-650|
|D150||Dielectric Constant at 1 kHz||2.25||2.2-2.36||2.3|
|D150||Dissipation Factor at 1 kHz||0.0005-0.0018||0.0017||-|
|D257||Volume Resistivity (ohm-cm) at 50% RH||8.5 x 1014||2 x 1016||1015|
|D495||Arc Resistance (sec)||160||100||-|
NOTE: The information contained herein are typical values intended for reference and comparison purposes only. They should NOT be used as a basis for design specifications or quality control. Contact us for manufacturers' complete material property datasheets.
All values at 73°F (23°C) unless otherwise noted.
POLYSTONE is a registered trademark of Roechling Plastics.
PROPYLUX is a registered trademark of Westlake Plastic Company.
PROTEUS and LSG are registered trademarks of Quadrant EPP USA, Inc.
TECAPRO is a registered trademark of Ensinger Company.
Related Industry Knowledge
- Considerations when using disposabl...
- Plastic food containers can mimic
- Disposable tableware irreplaceable ...
- Commonly used disposable cups print...
- Plastic tableware cleaning method
- To let you know that a one-time sna...
- How to detect a disposable lunch boxes
- Disposable lunch box product advant...
- How do we identify the pros and con...
- What Makes Polystyrene(PS) Plastic ...
- Polystyrene Specifications
- ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styren...
- The Market of Biodegradable Plastic...
- Plastic Injection Molding Technology